What’s The Miles Per Hour?
I smiled through the whole 4 minutes and 35 seconds video when Chelsea could not answer a simple question asked by Travis: how long it take to travel 80 miles if a car travel 80 miles per hour?
She was avoiding the abstract math calculation by going through intuitive route, and argued with her personal experience:
- she was out of shape after running one mile in 9 minutes (about 7 miles per hour);
- tire might not have enough air;
- speed might be different when driving a stick shift rather than an automatic.
She gave three answers:
- let’s time it;
- her rule of thumb was to cut numbers in half — 40 minutes;
- her best guess was 58 minutes, which did not relate to any of her reasoning.
True, miles per hour is an average measure and many factors could affect its accuracy in real-time. Yet, the answer is straight forward for a person with rational thinking. No one needs to jump through all the loops for an answer, or dancing around like Chelsea did to make things complicated.
Often, we do not to think outside the question, but to think through the question.
- If you don't pass your values on to your kids, someone else will. - Frank Sonnenberg #quote vitw.it/link/Ol6gD 17 hours ago
- If you aren't having fun creating content, you're doing it wrong.- Ann Handley #quote vitw.it/link/Nla1M 20 hours ago
- Everyone Retweet! An LGBT "Underground Railroad" Is Working To Evacuate Gay Men... ln.is/4qp7p by #AnnieSage via @c0nvey 1 day ago
- Camouflage Ripped Jeans **Sale SALE Sale** Use Code •TEA• for 10% off Shop ln.is/EJfkH by… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago
- Art is not what you see, but what you make others see. - Edgar Degas #quote vitw.it/link/6zg97 1 day ago