What’s The Miles Per Hour?
I smiled through the whole 4 minutes and 35 seconds video when Chelsea could not answer a simple question asked by Travis: how long it take to travel 80 miles if a car travel 80 miles per hour?
She was avoiding the abstract math calculation by going through intuitive route, and argued with her personal experience:
- she was out of shape after running one mile in 9 minutes (about 7 miles per hour);
- tire might not have enough air;
- speed might be different when driving a stick shift rather than an automatic.
She gave three answers:
- let’s time it;
- her rule of thumb was to cut numbers in half — 40 minutes;
- her best guess was 58 minutes, which did not relate to any of her reasoning.
True, miles per hour is an average measure and many factors could affect its accuracy in real-time. Yet, the answer is straight forward for a person with rational thinking. No one needs to jump through all the loops for an answer, or dancing around like Chelsea did to make things complicated.
Often, we do not to think outside the question, but to think through the question.
- RT @JeffSheehan: Happiness doesn't depend on who you are or what you have; it depends solely on what you think. ~Dale Carnegie #quote RT @c… 24 minutes ago
- RT @RockChristopher: Words are like weapons; they wound sometimes. ~ Cher #Quote rt @WritersNetGuide 3 hours ago
- The Nicolas Daily is out! paper.li/nicolascpa/131… Stories via @CharlieSlang @Henry_O_Tammys 5 hours ago
- RT @JeffSheehan: I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed. -Michael Jordan #quote RT @alphabetsuccess 10 hours ago
- RT @welfordwrites: #quote When I was younger I could remember anything, whether it happened or not. Mark Twain 10 hours ago