What’s The Miles Per Hour?
I smiled through the whole 4 minutes and 35 seconds video when Chelsea could not answer a simple question asked by Travis: how long it take to travel 80 miles if a car travel 80 miles per hour?
She was avoiding the abstract math calculation by going through intuitive route, and argued with her personal experience:
- she was out of shape after running one mile in 9 minutes (about 7 miles per hour);
- tire might not have enough air;
- speed might be different when driving a stick shift rather than an automatic.
She gave three answers:
- let’s time it;
- her rule of thumb was to cut numbers in half — 40 minutes;
- her best guess was 58 minutes, which did not relate to any of her reasoning.
True, miles per hour is an average measure and many factors could affect its accuracy in real-time. Yet, the answer is straight forward for a person with rational thinking. No one needs to jump through all the loops for an answer, or dancing around like Chelsea did to make things complicated.
Often, we do not to think outside the question, but to think through the question.
- OSYM : @OSYM: "Too much money ain't enough money." #quotes dlvr.it/KVjy92 https://t.co/EisbsiwdKR 4 minutes ago
- Palmy Healing : @PalmyHealing: When you judge another, you do not define them, you define… dlvr.it/KVjy8l https://t.co/uutyDtRvPW 4 minutes ago
- Douglas Gardham : @GardhamDouglas: “Thus fear of danger is ten thousand times more… dlvr.it/KVjY75 https://t.co/2NVmMw1qZB 38 minutes ago
- John Williams : @eurapart: MT @SplashRafting "The miracle is this, the more we share, the… dlvr.it/KVjXyh https://t.co/zR2Mde4UA9 38 minutes ago
- TheCoffeeBreak : @TheCoffeeBreakC: I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that… dlvr.it/KVj7mp https://t.co/w4A9n6YxGg 1 hour ago